It's 7-11! That means it's FREE SLURPEE DAY!! But wait...


Ahhh, Slurpees from 7-11. They remind me of when I was a little kid in Orange County who pretty much had free range to roam. This was before kids were hypnotized by video games and didn't leave the house because their parents were scared of predators. Don't get me wrong, we had Atari and Ted Bundy, but I just wanted to be either, A) giving my Barbies punk rock hair 'dos (which were always disappointing due to the holes in Barbie's scalp) or, B) exploring the outside world. The latter being my favorite. Once I got my first beach cruiser around the age of 8 and got sick of trying to save tadpoles from the storm drains around town, I basically lived at the local 7-11...they had Ms. Pac-Man and Slurpees! What more could a kid want on a hot summer's day? Nothing!

To be young again and not concerned with nutritional values...
Any-hoo, today 7-11 is giving away five million free Slurpees because, well, it's 7-11. Get it? While this offer may be tempting...who doesn't love free food-ish things? You may want to think twice. In the measly 8ounce free Slurpee, you get 65 calories (not terrible) and zero grams of fat (sweet!) but you also get a whopping 18 grams of sugar !! In EIGHT OUNCES!! That is more than I usually have in a day! Last but not least, it also packs 18 grams of carbs, and if you're anything like me, that is WAY too many to waste on such a small treat! And, let's be honest, who is going to go in and get the kiddie-sized 8 oz. Slurpee? I'd say, most of us would pay the extra and go for the SUPER Big Gulp. When in Rome, right? A 44oz. Super Big Gulp size carries a whopping 358 calories, 119 g of carbs and 99 g of sugar!* That's enough calories to constitute a meal and up to two times the amount of sugar recommended by the Dietary Guidelines, not to mention more carbs than a lot of us would consume in a day! Umm, for a Slurpee? They really aren't even that good once you're past the age of about 13.

Yeah, yeah, I know I may have burst a bubble or two, but think about it, do you really want that in your body? The fact that I cannot find anywhere the actual ingredients in the things is just plain scary! If you're craving a cold, sweet treat, make some real fruit popsicles. (http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=54&catId=11)

Happy 7-11!!

*Nutritional info taken from:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/428199-nutritional-facts-on-7-11-slurpees/#ixzz1RoJ5Rw4y Vegan fruit pops recipe from VegNews.com

Comments

Post a Comment