So, this is my first official blog post and guess what? It's a yummy recipe! Those of you who know me well will not be shocked. I am constantly looking for new, tasty and healthy vegan recipes to try and then share with my friends.
I made this for the 4th of July weekend festivities and it was a big hit! The use of the white beans instead of vegan cream cheese gives this an extra super healthy boost, which I just loved.
I will be making this again next weekend at a barbeque at my parents' house in the suburbs of Chicago (read:
NOT vegan-friendlyville) and I'll bet you no one will even be able to tell it's vegan! So funny that I even have to "sneak" vegan things onto the menu, but god forbid I say that it's vegan...nobody will eat it and I'll be stuck eating all of it! I guess I could live with that! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip (adapted from Yeah That Vegan Shit)

  • 1 can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 2 packed cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 can artichoke hearts (packed in water), chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 1 cup Daiya mozzarella shreds + 2 tbsp
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1. Heat a large skillet over medium low heat, add olive oil. Saute diced onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add whole spinach leaves (or chopped if you prefer finer pieces) until they are just beginning to wilt. You do not want fully cooked, soggy spinach.
2. Puree beans in a food processor, blender, whatever you’ve got, to form a thick paste.
3. Spread this bean paste in a 2 quart baking dish. Add the mozzarella shreds and mix well. Mix in onion, garlic and spinach mixture to combine. Gently mix in artichoke pieces.
4. Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast.
5. Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 400F. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 2tbsp of cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We ate this both on its own and with some tortilla chips. Next time I am going to make some pita chips to put it on and maybe some carrot sticks too. Mmmm!

Originally posted by I Eat Asphalt.

Comments

  1. Looks amazingly yummy! We're on a BIG salad kick! Looking forward to future salad recipes! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! If only my man would consider vegetables....He considers sausage, cheese & bacon quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Foodeater: That sucks! Would he not eat them if you snuck them into dishes??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment