Chickpea and Rice Soup with a little Kale from Isa Moskowitz at the PPK


I nicked this recipe from Isa Moskowitz over at the PPK and I have got to say, this is easily my new favorite soup! This is coming from someone who eats a LOT of soup! Like, almost every day a lot.
It's so easy to make and the taste is fantastic! I really reminds me of New England clam chowder except with out the fishiness and graininess of the clams because there are no clams in it. Hooray! The chick peas are the same color though and the broth is identical to clam chowder broth. I used to LOVE me some clam chowder back in my omni days so this is really, really cool! Oh, and it's even better the next day...and the next...and the...you get the picture.
I'm getting ready to make it for the third time in a week and a half right now if that says anything. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients:


1 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours or overnight (I spaced on soaking the cashews the first time I made this, so I used MimicCreme instead. Cashews soaked comes out much nicer though.)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
Fresh black pepper
1 cup rice, rinsed (I used brown sweet rice so it took a little longer to cook.)
3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, diced chunky or sliced into circles
8 cups vegetable broth (A good, strong broth is essential for flavor here. Isa recommends Better Than Bullion No Chicken flavor, which I happened to have. This stuff is great if you can find it. Otherwise, any veggie broth will do.)

2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
4 cups chopped kale

Thinly sliced green onion, for garnish

OK. Let's do this:

Drain the soaked cashews and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water. Blend until completely smooth, scraping the sides of the food processor with a spatula occasionally to make sure you get everything. This could 1 to 5 minutes depending on the strength of your blender.

Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and saute a minute more.

Add rice, celery and carrots and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas and let cook for 15-30 more minutes, until rice is cooked and carrots are tender.

Add the cashew cream and kale, then simmer until kale is wilted, about 3 to 5 more minutes. You may need to add water to thin the soup if it seems too thick. Taste for salt and seasonings and let sit for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to marry. Serve topped with green onions.

It thickens as it cools, so if you have leftovers, just thin with a little water when you reheat if you want. I like it thicker.

This first time I made this, I added some leftover cooked shells and the second time I threw in some potatoes I had lying around. The potatoes made it REALLY clam chowder-like! Delicious!



Comments